Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I'm a Supermodel

One thing I love about swimming, and a reason I will continue with it as a form of exercise until my death, is that it opens up opportunities to meet new and interesting people. When I first arrived in Los Angeles I began swimming with the masters group at USC. I was easing back into training after having shoulder surgery. I figured masters was the best place to start. One of the swimmers I met in the group was Louis Lesko, a USC graduate and photographer extraordinaire.

Through Louis I learned a bit about a whole different world. He has traveled the world and worked in all aspects of photography from fashion to commercial and movies. Despite Lou's worldly travels we have kept in touch over the years. At one point he called me up because he had an idea for a shoot and needed some help in executing it. I happened to have nothing better going on so I became the subject of Lou's vision. The image below is what came out of this adventure.


Photo Credit: Louis Lesko

The photo's intentions are to illustrate how technology can be a distraction to our creative juices. While laptops, cellphones, iPods, etc. can be a source of inspiration, they usually just act to steal our focus. Communication devices have become too much of a clutch for so many people.

Recently Louis Lesko published a book. It is titled Advertising Photography: A Straightforward Guide to a Complex Industry. It is available on Amazon.com and comes highly recommended. I absolutely love how Lou put a swimmer on the cover. That is completely like him, he finds swimming beautiful. On top of featuring swimming on the cover Lou has also included my picture within the book's pages. I am just a few pages away from the likes of Keanu Reeves and Alicia Keys. The subject matter of the publication is all about setting up photoshoots and photography usage rights. It is actually content on which I need education as it pertains to the blogger world. Hopefully I have followed fair use policies in using Lou's images in this post.

No comments: